Deborah Elizabeth Sawyer, a talented artist and actress, was previously married to South African actor Dumisani Dlamini, with whom she shares a daughter, Amala Ryna Zandile Dlamini, better known as the Grammy-winning singer Doja Cat. Today, we delve into Deborah’s new husband.
After Dumisani Dlamini, Deborah Elizabeth Sawyer found love again with Carey, an accomplished sculptor and educator. Carey has been a constant source of support for Deborah in her personal and professional life, proving that love and art can go hand in hand.
Who is Carey Netherton?
Carey Netherton is a talented sculptor and educator, known for his impressive work in the field of art. He currently serves as a Sculpture Instructor at Southern Illinois University Carbondale. Apart from his remarkable career, Carey is also recognized for his marriage to Deborah Elizabeth Sawyer, the mother of the renowned singer, Doja Cat.
Early Life and Education
Carey Netherton was born on January 3rd in the 1980s and raised in Sullivan, Illinois. In 1988 he attended Sullivan High School and graduated in 1922. He later pursued higher education at Eastern Illinois University, studying Art and Philosophy. In 1998, Carey graduated from Eastern Illinois University and studied Sculpture at Southern Illinois University Carbondale. He completed his studies there in 2008.
In 2000, Carey began working at Johnson Atelier, a renowned institution for sculpture. He held a position there until 2004, gaining valuable experience in art and sculpture.
Minnetonka Center for the Arts
Carey started a new job as a Sculpture Instructor at the Minnetonka Center for the Arts in 2009. He taught aspiring artists and shared his knowledge and expertise in sculpture.
Southern Illinois University Carbondale
In addition to his role at Minnetonka Center for the Arts, Carey also worked as a Sculpture Instructor at Southern Illinois University Carbondale. He contributed to the education of young artists and helped them develop their skills and passion for sculpture.
Carey Netherton, a talented sculptor and educator, has received several awards and recognitions throughout his career. His dedication to his craft has not gone unnoticed, and he has been acknowledged for his exceptional work in various exhibitions and competitions. This article explores some notable awards and achievements Carey Netherton has garnered.
Awards and Recognitions
- Juror’s Choice Award at the Regional Juried Exhibition held by the Arts Council of Southeast Missouri in Cape Girardeau, Missouri.
- Honorable Mention at The Essence of Form exhibition at the St. Louis Artists’ Guild in St. Louis, Missouri.
- Honorable Mention at the Fantastic Fibers event at the Yeiser Art Center in Paducah, Kentucky.
- Best-In-Show at the 10th Annual Critical Forum Juried Exhibition at the Surplus Gallery, Southern Illinois University in Carbondale, Illinois.
2013 & 2011
- Carey received the Artist Initiative Grant from the Minnesota State Arts Board in St. Paul, Minnesota, twice – once in 2013 and once in 2011.
- He was awarded a Summer Sculpture Residency at Eastern Illinois University in Charleston, Illinois.
- Carey received the Juror’s Choice Award at Mercer County Artists 2001, hosted by Mercer County Community College in Hamilton, New Jersey.
- He was awarded the Herk Van Tongeren Memorial Sculpture Award: Honorable Mention at Johnson Atelier in Mercerville, New Jersey.
Carey Netherton’s impressive list of awards and recognitions reflects his exceptional talent and dedication to the field of sculpture. His passion for his craft has led him to achieve success and recognition in various exhibitions and competitions, further solidifying his reputation as an accomplished artist and educator.
Carey Netherton is married to Deborah Elizabeth Sawyer, a talented artist and mother of the famous singer Doja Cat. The couple currently resides in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Carey maintains a close relationship with his family, including his sister Laura Netherton and cousin, Joshua Jenkins.
Carey Netherton is an accomplished artist and educator with a passion for sculpture. His career has taken him to esteemed institutions such as Johnson Atelier and Southern Illinois University Carbondale, where he has shared his expertise and contributed to the growth of aspiring artists. Alongside his professional achievements, Carey has built a loving life with his wife, Deborah Sawyer.