Who is Matilda Ziegler?
Matilda Ziegler is a popular British film and television series actress and media personality. She is widely known for playing a role in the highly-grossing sitcom comedy show “Mr. Bean” as the main character’s love interest (Mr. Bean’s girlfriend), Irma Gobb. Matilda appears in four episodes, including “The Curse of Mr. Bean” and “Mr. Bean Goes to Town.” And apart from “Mr. Bean,” she is also known for “Rhythm Section (2020),” for playing Donna Ludlow in “EastEnders (1985),” and Pearl Pratt in “Lark Rise to Candleford (2008).” Ziegler has been in the film business for about three decades and a half. Before I continue, let’s take a quick look at her profile summary.
|Date of birth||July 23, 1964|
|Children||Evie Hilyer, Faye Hilyer, Herbie Hilyer|
|Net worth||$5 million|
|Nationality||United States of America|
Matilda Ziegler Biography
Matilda Ziegler was born Matilda F. E. Ziegler on July 23, 1964, in Ashford, Kent, England, in the United Kingdom, and is 58 years old — her zodiac sign is Leo. She grew up in the company of her brother, Dominic Ziegler, a correspondent who currently works as an Asia Columnist and Senior Asia Writer at The Economist in Hong Kong.
With twenty-five years of experience in top-flight journalism and commentary, Matilda’s brother, Dominic Ziegler, served as the newspaper’s (The Economist) China correspondent between 1994 and 2000 and as Tokyo Bureau Chief between 2005 and 2009. He is also credited for writing the Banyan Column, an extension of The Economist newspaper, which focuses on Asian-related issues. Matilda’s brother is also credited for his first book, “Black Dragon River: A Journey Down the Amur River Between Russia and China,” published in 2015. He also serves as the Non-Executive Independent Director of the Fidelity Japan Trust Plc — a closed-ended equity mutual fund launched and managed by FIL Investment Services (UK) Limited and co-managed by FIL Investments International.
Away from that, Matilda Ziegler was raised in the neighborhood of Ashford, Kent, along with her only brother and sibling, Dominic Ziegler, by her English parents, Elizabeth Mary Hallinan and Carl Gordon Ziegler. Originally an Ashford, Kent, England native, she holds British citizenship by birth and has a White ethnic background.
Looking at her pictures, Ziegler has a white skin color with a pair of light brown aesthetic eyes and long blonde hair. She stands about five feet five inches tall, estimated to be either 1.6 meters or 165 centimeters. She weighs 101 pounds or 46 kilograms, with body measurements of 30 inches, 24 inches, and 31 inches, respectively — she wears a 7.5 (US) shoe.
Unlike details of her family and background, Matilda is yet to say a thing about her educational background. However, looking at her work portfolio and achievements, it is even harder not to think that she is a vastly educated young woman in her prime.
Matilda Ziegler is a Successful British Film Actress
Speaking of work portfolios, Matilda Ziegler started a career in the British entertainment industry in 1987 at 23 and has been in the business for about three decades and a half now – thirty years, approximately. She made her debut screen and television appearance with the BBC One soap opera 1987 television series, “EastEnders,” where she played the role of the character Donna Ludlow in about 119 episodes of the show between 1987 and 1989.
In the hit BBC One television drama EastEnders (1985), her character, Donna, was the illegitimate daughter of series regular Kathy Beale (Gillian Taylforth). Her personae engaged in many societal vices, including attempted gang rape, heroin addiction, prostitution, and suicide (dying of a heroin overdose). According to movie ratings and reviews, the character she portrayed in this series has been hailed as one of the most potent anti-drug images ever screened on the Programme by movie critics and fans. After her character ended her life by suicide, Matilda left the show in April 1989, having appeared in 118 episodes within the space of two years.
Barely a year after her deal with BBC One ended, Matilda Ziegler got an offer from a movie production company to become one of the cast members of the ITV comedy show, “Mr. Bean.” In the series, Ziegler played multiple characters, especially the character of the lead character’s (Mr. Bean) long-suffering girlfriend, Irma Gobb. She appeared in four show episodes, including “The Curse of Mr. Bean” and “Mr. Bean Goes to Town” between 1990 and 1992. From 2002 to 2004, she would reprise her role as Irma Gobb, voicing her in Mr. Bean: The Animated Series — including in the revived series of the show between 2015 and 2019.
One of her latest appearances on TV shows is the 2020 series, “The Alienist,” where she played the role of Mallory Hunter in series 2, episode 7 of the show titled, “Angel of Darkness: The Last Exit to Brooklyn,” Matilda Ziegler also made an appearance in “The Girlfriend Experience.” Now, this is a 2021 TV show, where she plays the role of Dr. Lindbergh in the two episodes of the series. Recently in 2022, she appeared in “Miss Scarlet and The Duke,” playing the role of Mary Dawson in series 2, episode 3 of the television series titled “A Pauper’s Grave.”
And apart from TV credits, Matilda is credited for her works in the films. She plays the role of Pearl Pratt in the BBC adaptation of Flora Thompson’s novel, which was given the film title “Lark Rise to Candleford (2008–2010).” Again, she appears in an adaptation of J.G. Ballard’s novel, “Home,” along with actor Anthony Sher. “Harbour Lights (1999), The Bill (2003), Harbour Lights (1999), An Unsuitable Job for a Woman (1998), Where the Heart Is (2000), and Holby City (2003) are some of the movies she is known for, to mention only a few.
Still, speaking of films, the 2020 movie “The Rhythm Section,” where she played the role of Monica Patrick, and the 2022 “Living,” where she plays Prim Lady, are some of Matilda Ziegler’s recent movies. Moreover, she has appeared in over a hundred (100) movies, and TV shows since her career started in 1987. In no particular order of sellouts or ratings, these are some of Matilda Ziegler’s films and TV series, including;
- 2001 — Armadillo; playing the role of Potts, Three-part (TV film), appearing in Episode 2
- 2000 — Where the Heart Is; playing the role of Sally Series 4, episode 2: “No Regrets.”
- Casualty; playing the role of Nula Snape in Series 11, episode 16: “The Homecoming.”
- 1987-1989 — EastEnders; playing the role of Donna Ludlow in about 119 episodes
- Too Much Sun; playing the role of Sandi in 6 episodes
- 1993-2003 — The Bill; playing the role of Monica Skinner / Helen Proctor in 3 episodes – 2 episodes credited as Matilda Zeigler
- 2022 — Living; playing the role of Prim Lady
- 1994 — Against All Odds: Lost and Found; playing the role of Amy Chadwick (TV film)
- 1998 — An Unsuitable Job for a Woman; playing the role of Hilary Hampson in Series 1, episode 2: “A Last Embrace.”
- 1998 — Jilting Joe; playing the role of Rona
- 1996 — In Suspicious Circumstances, playing the role of Beattie Pace in Series 5, episode 9: “Who’s Sorry Now?”
- 2006 — Talk; playing the role of Janice (Short film)
- 1991 — Police Station; playing the role of Police Woman (TV short)
- The Bus Stop; Matilda Ziegler played the role of Mother (TV short)
- 2020 — The Rhythm Section; playing the role of Monica Patrick
- 1999 — Harbour Lights; playing the role of Jane Ford in 10 episodes
- 1994 — Decadence; playing the role of The Entourage
- 2004 — The Audition; playing the role of Pompous Woman (Short film)
- 1990-1992 — Mr. Bean; playing the role of Irma Gobb / Various in 4 episodes
- 1997 — Mr. White Goes to Westminster; playing the role of Labour Fixer (TV movie)
- 1995 — My Good Friend; playing the role of Betty in 7 episodes
Matilda Ziegler Husband
Matilda Ziegler exchanged wedding vows with her husband, Louis Hilyer, in July 2004, with whom she now has three children — two daughters and a son. Evie Hilyer and Faye Hilyer are their daughters’ names, while their son is Herbie Hilyer.
Now, Louis Hilyer is a British film and television series actor known for “Downton Abbey (2010),” “Modigliani (2004),” and “Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (2004).” He was born in 1964 in Coventry, Warwickshire, England, in the United Kingdom, and is 58 years old.
A successful actor who has made a name for himself, there are movies and TV shows Matilda Ziegler’s husband, Louis Hilyer, is credited for, including but not limited to;
- 2017 — Tina & Bobby (3 episodes) as Ron Greenwood
- 2004 — Modigliani as Zborowski
- 1979 — Minder (1 episode) as Joe
- 2017 — Broken (6 episodes) as Chief Inspector McDonald
- 1989 — Press Gang (1 episode) as Shoe Man
- 2019 — The Mallorca Files (1 episode) as Blake Nardini
- 2004 — Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow as Executive Officer
- 2006 — The Ten Commandments (2 episodes) as Amram
Matilda Ziegler Net worth
As an A-list British film and television actress who has been in the industry for nearly four decades, Matilda Ziegler has amassed an estimated net worth of about $5 million. She earns worth from her career in the film business. On an unrelated note, Matilda Ziegler does not have any accounts on social media platforms. Besides seeing her in movies and award events, Matilda lives a private life.